Unwanted Browser Extensions
Extensions are a type of web browser add-on that can add more functionality to your web browser. However, you might find yourself in a situation where a malicious Extension is installed on your web browser without your knowledge. In that case, it helps to know how to remove the unwanted Extension in order to protect your personal information. We have only chosen Google Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge for this how to. So without further ado, let’s dive into it.
Please keep in mind that the following “How-to-s” are based on the standard configuration for each browser at the time of writing this article. Please note: the Extensions shown in the images below are not to be considered malicious. We are simply using these Extensions for illustration purposes, nothing more. If you feel comfortable removing browser Extensions by yourself feel free to follow these instructions. Otherwise we recommend that you get help from a computer expert.
Depending on the browser, removing the Extension can be as simple as right clicking on the extension and clicking the remove option. If that doesn’t work, you can follow the instructions for your browser below.
How To Remove Extensions From Microsoft Edge
- Click on the three horizontal dots on the top right hand corner of Microsoft Edge to open the options menu as shown in the image below.
- Navigate to the Extensions option
- Choose from the list of Extensions which one you want to remove
- Click on the Extension to show more info and options for that browser Extension
- Locate the uninstall button and click on it to remove the unwanted Extension. A confirmation box will show up, so click on the OK to complete removing the unwanted browser Extension.
How To Remove Extensions From Google Chrome
- Click on the three vertical dots on the top right hand corner of Google Chrome to open the options menu. See image below.
- Navigate to “more tools” and then click on Extensions from the list of options which pops up when you hover over the more tools option. At this point, you should be presented with a list of tiles for the currently installed web browser Extensions.
- Select the Extension that you want to remove and click on remove.
- A confirmation box will show up. Click on the remove button to remove the unwanted browser extension.
How To Remove Extensions From Mozilla Firefox
- Click on the menu bars on the top right hand corner of Firefox to open the options menu. See image below.
- Navigate to and click on Add-ons from the list of options.
- On the left of the next screen, click on Extensions if your browser does not automatically open the Extensions.
- Select the Extension you want to remove from the list of extensions.
- Click on the three horizontal dots on the right of the Extension tile to open the menu options for that Extension.
- Select and click on “Remove” from the Extension’s menu list.
- A confirmation box will show up. Click on the remove button to remove the unwanted browser Extension.
As you remove these Extensions you will also have the option to report the Extension and give your feedback. We recommend that you take a few moments to report any malicious Extensions so that they can be blocked from each respective browser. Hope you found this information to be useful. If so, please share and help others stay in the know.